1911: A lookout was maintained on Vinegar Hill this season and was connected by telephone to the central office.
1916: A cupola lookout house was established.
October 17, 1935: Panorama photos taken by Albert Arnst.
1941: A L-4 lookout house was constructed.
September 2, 1971: "The Malheur National Forest has issued a call for bids for five buildings on government land in the Bates-Prairie City area. The Vinegar Hill Lookout building is 14-feet square, a ground cabin without tower. Built in 1942, it was in use until 1969. Aerial observation replaced the manned fire-prevention station." (Blue Mountain Eagle)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - VINEGAR HILL LOH PID - QC0925 STATE/COUNTY- OR/GRANT COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - VINEGAR HILL (1995) STATION DESCRIPTION
'DESCRIBED BY US FOREST SERVICE 1936 THIS INTERSECTION STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE LOOKOUT HOUSE ON VINEGAR HILL, ELEVATION ABOUT 8120 FEET, A WELL-KNOWN BUTTE SITUATED ABOUT 3 MILES W OF GREENHORN. SUMMIT CONSISTS OF ROCKY BACKBONE, WITH LOOKOUT NEAR N END. U.S.G.S. ESTABLISHED STATION GREENHORN (U.S.G.S.) AT THIS POINT IN 1898. IT IS MARKED WITH A COPPER BOLT IN ROCK. IN 1916 LOOKOUT HOUSE WAS BUILT, AND U.S.G.S. STATION WAS DESTROYED, BUT IT IS REPORTED AS PROBABLY HAVING BEEN WITHIN 2 OR 3 FEET OF CENTER OF LOOKOUT HOUSE, WHICH IS ON SAME CENTER IN 1936 AS WHEN ORIGINALLY CONSTRUCTED IN 1916.
STATION RECOVERY (1938)
RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1938 PREVIOUS DESCRIPTION IS APPLICABLE.
U.S.F.S. STATION DISK IS CEMENTED INTO ROCK UNDER CENTER OF HOUSE.
U.S.G.S. REFERENCE DISKS WERE SET BY THIS PARTY.
REFERENCE MARK NO.1 IS IN TOP OF SHARP POINTED ROCK TO S, DISTANT 104.3 FEET FROM STATION, IN AZIMUTH 2 DEG 24 MIN 30 SEC.
REFERENCE MARK NO.2 IS IN EDGE OF LEDGE TO N, DISTANT 38.3 FEET, IN AZIMUTH 164 DEG 03 MIN.
REACHED FROM AUSTIN, GREENHORN, OR UP VINCENT CREEK TO BLACK BUTTE CAMP AND SPRING WHICH IS IN SADDLE ABOUT 1 MILE SW OF LOOKOUT. CLIMB REST OF WAY ON FOOT THROUGH OPEN COUNTRY.