Click on thumb nails to see a complete and enlarged view of the photos.
Ochoco National Forest - 22S-28E-09
March 21, 1929: "A new telephone line will be constructed from Egypt creek, near the upper Silver creek valley, easterly to the summit of Bald butte." (Central Oregonian)
August 1931: "George Roba and Ira swift completed the Bald Butte wood tower on August 12. This tower is 42 feet high and has an 8 feet square house on top. This new lookout station covers a lot of country that other lookouts on the Snow Mountain district can not see. Frank Merritt occupied this tower for the balance of the season." (The Ochoconian)
October 25, 1934: Panorama photos were taken by RLC.
1959: A 41-foot treated timber tower with an R-6 lookout cab was constructed.
Malheur National Forest - 19S-29E-09
Malheur National Forest - 19S-30E-36
1942 - Mark Swift Collection
1963 - Mark Swift Collection
1932: A 10 x 10 L-5 lookout ground house was constructed.
1968: The lookout was destroyed.
Malheur National Forest - 19S-32E-13
October 1993 - Mark Swift Collection
1927: Site was first established as a lookout point with a D-5 design ground house.
November 1930: "Contrary to the usual discussion, we now have 'Are Cougars Lonesome?'
During the night the Calamity Butte Lookout would hear something about the cabin, and one night when he had fresh meat, he heard something scratching on the screen door.
These visits continued for several nights, and one day about 2 p.m. the lookout noticed his visitor sitting near the flag pole -- which was about 30 feet from the cabin. He decided he would make Mr. Cougar disperse, and made a wild dash at him. Mr. (or Mrs.) Cougar gave him a casual glance and took his time about getting off the ridge. This animal was seen several times during the summer, and never seemed in a hurry. Several deer were found that it had killed." (Six Twenty-Six)
October 9, 1935: Panorama photos were taken by Osborne.
September 17, 1937: "Lookout fireman Cecil E. Jackson handed over his Guard badge last week and resumed his duties as principal of John Day school. Ex-0Guard Jackson says the summer on Calamity Lookout has been very profitable from several view points. He not only carried on advance studies through an extension course but contained a working knowledge of fire detection and suppression. He also learned that cutting a section out of a telephone ground wire to use as 'haywire' may interupt telephone communication. Anyway we hope to see Cecil back next summer." (John Day Valley Ranger)
1996: A new octagon shape cab on a 50-foot round timber tower was started.
2001: The new lookout structure was completed.
Malheur National Forest - 21S-32 1/2E-02
1993 - Mark Swift Collection
Malheur National Forest - 20S-26E-01
September 2, 1950: "In the living quarters atop the lookout tower at Donnelly butte, Ernest Hunt Jr., member of the Ochoco national forest staff, and his bride, the former Gloria Wiegers of Seattle, are spending their honeymoon. The couple was married by starlight under a canopy of pines at Cedar Springs forest camp east of Paulina August 21." (The Bend Bulletin)
Ochoco National Forest - 22S-26E-11
June 13, 1929: "The Snow mountain road crew is completing a motor way from the upper Silver Crteek section to the summit of Dry Mountain on which Mr. J.T. Choate will serve as lookout-fireman for the coming summer. A new telephone line was constructed there last year, so with these improvements more efficient fire protection can be given to that extremely hazardous portion of the forest." (Central Oregonian)
July 18, 1929: "Ranger E.W. Donnelly, assisted by Fireman Jack Choate and Road Foreman W.J. Baur, is constructing a platform near the top of a yellow pine tree on the summit of Dry Mountain. On this platform will be mounted a telephone, fire finder, etc., for use of the lookout who will occupy that station. The platform will be more than 100 feet from the ground and will afford a much better view than can be obtained from any point on the ground, since the top of the mountain is pretty well covered with timber." (Central Oregonian)
September 1929: "Jack Choate, who occupies the 'crows nest' 110 feet from the ground in a yellow pine tree on the summit of Dry Mountain, says he now feels perfectly at home since four 3/8 " guy cables have been placed on the tree and the ladder improved to such an extent that he can run up and down the tree in high gear. Road Foreman Baur assisted in fixing up this lookout tree which is the highest platform occupied by a lookout on the Ochoco." (The Ochoconian)
December 1930: "A fireman's cabin was constructed on Dry Mountain at the base of the steel tower site." (The Ochoconian)
March 19, 1931: "A 75-foot steel lookout tower was received at the forest service warehouse in Prineville on March 17. The tower is to be placed on Dry Mountain in the Snow Mountain district. This will greatly facilitate detection in this vicinity, since heretofore the lookout has been obliged to climb a tree in order to see over his territory. This will be the first steel tower on the Ochoco." (Central Oregonian)
March 1931: "The Dry Mountain steel tower is here at last. We have been getting it for just about a year now. The material which has come from Aermotor Company in Chicago weighs a little over 11,00 pounds. It will be shipped to old Riley by Forest Service truck and then to Dry Mountain by team. The tower will perhaps be put up in May, or at any rate, before the start of fire season. This tower is 73 feet from the ground to the floor of the observation tower, and has a stairway of wooden steps." (The Ochoconian)
October 25, 1934: Panorama photos were taken by RRS.
Ochoco National Forest - 21S-27E-14
1940 - Ochoco National Forest (S.O.)
November 10, 1921: "Ranger E.W. Donnelly built a lookout house at Emigrant Butte." (Central Oregonian)
September 14, 1922: "A new lookout house has been built on Emigrant mountain in the Snow Mountain district, lo9cated about midway between Suplee and Burns. The house is of the box type, with dimensions 12 x 12 and a cupola 7 x 7. The cupola is glassed in and contains the regulation fire finder. The station will be occupied continuously during the fire season.
Thomas Ewing of Brothers had charge of the station this summer." (Central Oregonian)
September 9, 1926: "W.J. Baur and Judd Lytle, employees of the Ochocco National Forest, are engaged in the construction of a new telephone line from Emigrant Butte southerly toward Silver Creek." (Central Oregonian)
September 1929: "Al Frey, who has been lookout on Emigrant Butte this season, has taken a winter job in the Riley store, and Lester Williams, who has been truckman for the Baur road crew, has taken Frey's place for the balance of the fire season." (The Ochoconian)
October 1929: "Jack Choate moved down from Dry Mountain to Emigrant Butte when Lester Williams left on September 21. Lester is now trapping coyotes in the Harney Valley country." (The Ochoconian)
October 5, 1933: "W.H. Lohuis is building a lookout tower and house at Emigrant Butte. One of several NRA projects being started." (Central Oregonian)
October 25, 1934: Panorama photos were taken by JDR.
Malheur National Forest - 20S-32E-27
1940's - Mark Swift Collection
1948 - Mark Swift Collection
1920's: A D-6 cupola style lookout house was constructed.
October 10, 1935: Panorama photos were taken by Osborne.
1957: A CL-100 series, all steel, lookout house was constructed on a 10-foot steel tower.
MALHEUR WILDLIFE REFUGE
U.S.F.&W. Service - 28S-31E
Ochoco National Forest - 21S-25E-29
1952: A 40-foot treated timber tower with an L-4 cab was constructed.
Malheur National Wildlife Refuge - 32S-32 1/2E-06
Bureau of Land Management - 28S-34E-35
1964: A two story concrete block and wood, BLM style, lookout structure was built.
Malheur National Wildlife Refuge - 26S-32E-35
Malheur National Forest - 19S-29E-21
1932: A 15-foot round timber tower with an L-4 lookout cab was constructed.
1934: A 16 x 18 garage was built.
October 18, 1935: Panorama photos were taken by Osborne.
1949: A 32-foot treated timber tower with an L-4 lookout cab was constructed.
Bureau of Land Management - 26S-24E-06
1967: A two story BLM style lookout building was constructed.