May 3, 1934: "New lookout houses and towers will be built in the Siuslaw national forest this summer, it is announced by R.S. Shelley, supervisor. In the Waldport district a tower will be built on Grass mountain and one on Canniibal mountain, both in the vicinity of the Alsea river." (Morning Oregonian)
1934: A lookout tower was constructed. (Six Twenty-Six)
August 3, 1942: "Mr. and Mrs. DeVere Taylor expect to return to the Grass mountain lookout station this week after a few days off due to Mr. Taylor becoming ill." (Corvallis Gazette-Times)
1951: A 42-foot timber tower with a 14x14 cab was constructed.
1963: A lookout ground cabin was constructed for a cost of $408.06. The costs were paid from the state restoration fund for the loss of the garage at the site during the October 12, 1962 wind storm.
1969: The lookout was removed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - GRASS MTN LOT PID - QE2285 STATE/COUNTY- OR/BENTON COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - GRASS MTN (1984)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1937 (LAM) THIS INTERSECTED POSITION IS THAT OF GRASS MOUNTAIN, ELEVATION ABOUT 3,612 FEET, SITUATED ABOUT 1 MILE S OF THE BENTON-LINCOLN COUNTY LINE, AND ABOUT 5 MILES, AIRLINE, NW OF ALSEA.
REACHED FROM ALSEA BY DRIVING W ALONG ALSEA HIGHWAY ABOUT 15 MILES TO FALL CREEK, THENCE OVER FOREST ROAD UP FALL CREEK, FOLLOWING SIGNS ABOUT 12 MILES TO SUMMIT.
IN 1936 THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE ESTABLISHED THE POSITION OF THE GRASS MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT TOWER ON THIS SUMMIT AND MARKED IT WITH 'A DISK.