Mt. Hood National Forest > Warm Springs Indian Reservation 9S-8 1/2E-2
1911: A lookout was established at this point. A first version of the Osborne fire-finder was installed on a post. (The Sunday Oregonian - 6/18/1950)
July 30, 1913: See entry below at June 10, 1958.
July 28, 1921: "John Lewis has gone to Ollala lookout for the summer." (The Maupin Times)
July 15, 1926: "The first fire of the season was reported at 4:15 p.m. on July 5th by Lookout Curran from Olallie Butte. Ranger L.D. Bailey and Patrolman Al Shaduck found and extinguished it by midnight. It had burned over 400 square feet on Woodside Point and was spreading rapidly. It started from blasting on the Clackamas river trail." "W.E. Curran, lookout on Olallie Butte, has resumed his duties. Olallie is one of the best lookout points in the Northwest, 37 lakes to be seen from its top." (The Maupin Times)
July 4, 1929: "Calvin Burnside came out from Olallie lake over Sunday. He visited with friends and relatives here and at The Dalles Saturday and Sunday. Cal. will be the lookout man (fire observer) on Olallie butte this summer, a job he had last season. He invites his friends who desire a fine trip and wonderful panoramic view to visit the new tower on top of the butte. A good foot and saddle trail goes to the summit of the peak." (The Maupin Times)
October 12, 1933: Panorama photos taken by James Rittenhouse & Albert Arnst
June 10, 1958: "After diligent search, we find that the earliest lookout structure was completed July 30, 1913, on Olallie Butte on Mt. Hood National Forest. Lumber was carried from Clackamas Lake, a distance of 22 miles, to the top of the mountain. The structure cost $41.93. In 1914 new construction amounting to $109 was added. The size of the lookout structure was 7' by 10'. From records it is indicated that it was built by Bush Osborne. We are unable to find the name of the first person to occupy it as a lookout." (I - Information, General, Historical File)
1972: The United States Congress passed Public Law 92-427, which placed 61,360 acres of public lands from the Mt Hood and Willamette National Forests into the boundaries of the Warm Springs Reservation. The lookout was located on this strip of land.