May 22, 1931: "In an effort to combat fire hazards more successfully, authorization has been given to build a lookout post at this point." (Medford Mail Tribune)
September 1931: "We have our Wildhorse Lookout house packed out, and the log foundation down, lined up north and south. The logs are up to a point where we can start building our house. The log section at the base is about nine feet high, and will raise the fire finder high enough to command a view of the lower Rogue River country from Bill Moore Creek west. The lookout house will show up plainly from Rogue River, and will be seen by the tourists as they come up Rogue River to Agness." (The Siskiyou Bulletin)
1931: An R1 type lookout cabin was constructed on the tower at Wildhorse. (A History of the Siskiyou National Forest- 1939)
May 1932: "While pruning an apple tree the other day Moritz Fritzsche fell catching by the foot in the crotch of an apple tree. He hung head down for quite a time. He saved himself by swinging back and forth until he could reach a limb and pull himself to an upright position. His leg was badly wrenched causing him considerable suffering. Moritz Fritzsche was lookout patrolman several years at Wildhorse. He is seventy years of age." (The Siskiyou Bulletin)
December 1933: "This summer the lookout-fireman at Wildhorse found an old briar pipe carved in the shape of a bulldog's head. In 1908 and 1909 a man tried to homestead Wildhorse Prairie. He smoked such a pipe with an amber stem. Although the amber stem is gone, there is little doubt but that the pipe is the same one. The homesteader left in the fall of 1909 so the pipe has been lost for at least 24 years. The bowl of the pipe is checked, all the varnish or other finish is gone, but the wood shows no sign of decay. Part of the original cake is still in the bowl. I plan on refurbishing the pipe, and putting in a new stem -- Man, what a smoke that should be. Ranger Vondis Miller, Agness District" (The Siskiyou Bulletin)
May 1940: "Good point to pick up potential fires along Rogue River valley, and towards Lake O'Woods which is unable to see all of same. Fuel moistures tend to run a little damper in this section of the district." (Plans, Guard Placement, Siskiyou National Forest)
1941: The lookout was manned 95 days and reported to the Agness Ranger Station via forest service line to West Coast Telephone Company.
1942: An AWS cabin was constructed.
1947: A 40-foot sawn timber tower with an L-4, 14x14 hip-roofed series 1936 cab and catwalk were constructed.
1990: Vandalism, including a fire set inside the lookout's cab, windows and the door were also broken. Repairs were made in a timely manner, restoring the structure to sound usable condition.
2008: During the winter of 2007-08 a heavy snow load caused the cab to collapse. The Sand Mountain Society began the restoration process during the summer.