1928-29-30: This site was used as a daily horse patrol lookout point.
July 1936: "In July a secondary fire danger station was set up. These stations gathered information on fuel inflammability, wind direction and velocity. This data was telephoned into Kamela three times daily where it was shown on a Fire Danger Board." (Umatilla Buckaroo)
1941: A 24-foot round timber tower with an L-4 cab was constructed.
January 17, 1949: "A fire reorganization study was made of the Pendleton District and as a result, High Ridge Lookout was changed from a Primary Lookout to a Lookout Fireman position." (Pendleton Ranger District Annual Report)
1957: "It was necessary to add two false legs to the old High Ridge tower in order to hold it in the air until a replacement can be erected." (Umatilla National Forest files)
1958: "During the 1959 season a new tower and house will be built at High Ridge." (Umatilla National Forest files)
1959: "Construction of High Ridge lookout tower was delayed due to contract difficulties and is planned for 1960." (Umatilla National Forest files)
2006: Over the 4th of July weekend vandals broke into the lookout and caused significant damage.
National Forest - 5S-35E-15
July 2008 - Ron Kemnow photo
1952: A 82-foot treated timber tower with an L-4 cab was constructed.
National Forest - 5S-36E-11
Umatilla National Forest - 4N-40E-03
National Forest - 1S-39E-14
National Forest - 5S-37E-31
National Forest - 4S-42E-20
August 11, 1916: "A fire-tower is now being built on Meadow Mountain and a fire-finding apparatus is being installed thereon. When completed the tower will be 35 feet high, topped by a seven-by-seven- foot lookout house." (The Morning Oregonian – footnote 1)
October 1929: "On August 12 I had the good luck to cut the number of bear on the Grande Ronde district down by three, with my great big 32 automatic, which helped out in two ways - maybe saved some sheep and gave the Meadow Mountain lookout just the proper diet for climbing. K.H. McCool" (Six Twenty-Six)
December 1937: "Archibald was the unofficial companion and real comrade of the Meadow Mountain Lookout. For eight years he had held that position. He had seen men come and go - from the old timer to the greenest recruit. During this time he had acquired a fund of wisdom and understanding. Those who had been there before awaited with anticipation his first call each season after the station was manned. New men soon became his staunch friends. But this year something happened. Archibald duly made his appearance when Leonard Herbert opened the station. Day after day he called to pay his respects, to keep the lookout company as he went about his work, and, perhaps, to be offered some tidbit. All went well until the first of August; then no longer did Archibald boldly enter the very door of the lookout cabin or frisk about outside. He had vanished! No one knows whether his career has met a sad and sudden ending. But Leonard wonders whether there is any connection between Archibald's disappearance and the fact that on his last call he had been treated to a hearty meal of home-made biscuits. E.D. Wilmouth" (Six Twenty-Six)
October 1938: " 'Teleradio' is now being used by Meadow Mountain Lookout on the Eagle Ranger District of the Whitman. Arlie Baker, our own 'Marconi', boasts that with his five tube radio hooked up with one 'A' and one 'B' battery and with no connections whatsoever with the forest line, he picked up telephone conversations. A third degree fails to break his resistance; he stoutly maintains that there is no connection with any part of the telephone line. Further, he can pick up conversations on the commercial line at Cove, Oregon, which is 12 miles distant! By turning down his power he brings in the phone conversations and cuts out the regular radio reception. Reception is on broadcast wave lengths. L.F. Javete" (Six Twenty-Six)
Oregon Department of Forestry - 1S-38E-32
Oregon Department of Forestry - 1S-39E-35
MULE PEAK (GRANITE)
National Forest - 5S-42E-13
1995 - Mark Swift Collection
August 11, 1916: "As protection against forest fires, Head Ranger W.D. Foreman, of Minam national forest, Grand Ronde district No. 3, has a man stationed on Granite Butte with a standard Army heliograph to work in conjunction with one on Trout Creek Ridge to discover and report fires." (The Morning Oregonian – footnote 1)
1924: A ground cabin lookout was constructed.
July 29, 2005: Two employees were evacuated by helicopter from the lookout and firefighters wrapped fire resistant material around the building as a precaution. As flames threatened the lookout an aircraft dropped retardant on it. The move was made to save the lookout and other buildings.
National Forest - 2S-41E-21
(1st site) - July 2008 - Ron Kemnow photo
July 2008 - Ron Kemnow photo
August 11, 1916: "A fire-finder is being installed on the 50-foot tower recently completed on Point Prominence." (The Morning Oregonian – footnote 1)
1931: A 30-foot round timber tower with an L-4 cab was constructed.
September 1933: "Tiny, the lookout on Point Prominence on the Minam Division, shot a bear and two cubs." (Forest Log)
1954: An 82-foot treated timber tower with an L-4 cab was erected on a site located about one-fourth of a mile east of the original tower.
September 11, 1961: "The 4-year-old son of a Forest Service officer fell 80 feet from a fire control tower to his death near here Sunday. The accident occurred as the family was ending a holiday visit with the boys uncle, on duty as a spotter in the tower. Dead was Wayne Allen Thomas, 4, La Grande son of Albur A. Thomas, fire control officer for the La Grande District of the U.S. Forest Service. The accident took place at the Point Prominence tower about ten miles east of here. The family had visited in the tower and started to descend when the boy slipped and fell." (The Bend Bulletin)
Umatilla National Forest - 3N-38E-10
1920's: The lookout consisted of a 30-foot pole platform with a tent camp.
August 1926: "Superintendent of Construction J.M. Mann assisted at the short-term men's training course held at Tollgate Ranger Station the last three days of June, and it is alleged that all the while he kept insisting that the bunch should go to Spout Springs Mountain, only four miles away. So, on the last afternoon, after all the other work was completed, cars were rustled and everybody went. Lo and behold, when they reached the summit they found a 50-foot lookout tower all framed and ready to raise. The bunch was turned over to Foreman Tom Hinote, and the tower was hoisted in the air and anchored in less than two hours time. It has been openly hinted that Ranger Baker, Hinote, and Mann had planned all this in advance; but they don't admit anything excepting each one claims, 'I built a nice tower,' M.I. Cooley" (Six Twenty-Six)
1943: “Upon inspection it was learned that the Spout (Springs) tower had decayed to the point where it was no longer safe for use. Shortly after plans were made to test the timbers in all the old towers.”
1943: “Spout Springs tower was occupied by Mrs. Elsie Ralph who had two horses and one cow at the lookout. When the time came to leave the lookout in the fall the horses had already left and as Mrs. Ralph did not have a car to move her belongings she, being of pioneer spirit, decided to pack out on the cow. She proceeded to strap a pack saddle on Bossie and loaded up. When asked how the cow performed Elsie calmly stated that Bossie only tried to sit down.”
1944: “The old Spout Springs tower was condemned and razed. Borings were taken in the tower legs at Bone Springs and Lookout Mountain. The former was considered to be good for three or four years but Lookout Mt. Was recommended for replacement next year.” (This date is questionable)
From the Umatilla National Forest files, courtesy Rex Kamstra _________________________________________________________________________________________
July 16, 1946: "Construction of the new forest lookout tower at Spout Springs will probably get underway late in the summer, according to W.W. Ward, forest supervisor of the Walla Walla district. Some of the materials are already on hand and the bulk of it will be shipped soon. The tower will involve a new type of construction using ring connected creosoted timbers, Ward said. The structure will be 83 feet high with a 14 x 14 lookout house at the top." (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin)
October 1, 1946: "Preliminary construction work for the new forest service lookout tower at Spout Springs will probably get started within the next week or two, officials in the Walla Walla forest office said Monday. Surveying for the tower will come first and officials plan to move equipment and materials to the scene as soon as possible. The concrete base will be constructed this fall but actual construction of the tower will probably not be started before next spring because of early snows in that region." (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin)
September 16, 1947: "The old tower at Spout Springs was toppled over last year." (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin)
1948: A 83-foot treated timber tower with an L-4 cab was completed.
July 20, 1950: "Lightning Tuesday night caused the first forest fire of the season on the Walla Walla district of the Umatilla national forest, Ranger Homer Oft reported. The blaze, a quarter mile east of Spout Springs, was discovered by Dean McKenzie, lookout man. The fire, covering three snags, was put out by McKenzie at about 8:30 p.m." (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin)
September 4, 1950: "A smoldering fire, caused by lightning about 10 days ago was discovered Sunday near Grant springs, eight miles southeast of Tollgate, Homer Oft, district ranger, reported. Two travelers saw the fire in a log. Dean McKenzie, Spout Springs lookout man, put out the blaze." (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin)
1990: The tower was destroyed when a tree fell across the guy cables.